Friday, May 31, 2013

Bad Days and Donkeys

         Bad days come and go. Most of them we can’t even recall. I remember a day like that from a few years ago; however, it’s not the bad that I recall the most. Rather, the lesson which I learned from it.        
It was one of those days. Every little thing was against me and I was on the verge of tears. Numerous Anxieties wore at my body as my mother walked me up to the receptionist in order to explain my tardiness. Before we could enter the building, I impulsively grabbed my mother’s arm and broke down into tears. My mother. My caring and completely understanding, mother, stood with me silently. Our silent conversation was soon interrupted by a man, one with the most outstandingly ridiculous looking mustache, who walked out of the building with his son. The mustache is not what threw me off however… it was the fact that this man was wearing a donkey costume! You could tell he felt slightly awkward, as if he had just walked into someone else’s house. I would like to think that my obvious crocodile tears were what provoked him to break the silence, “I bet you’re wondering why I am dressed like an ass…” The silence was shattered and all of my troubles of that day melted away with our laughter.
       I can’t recall exactly what my poor freshman self could’ve been going through that day but I do recall my father’s words to me from earlier that morning. Before the mustached donkey man brought me back down to earth, I had forgotten that I had written those words of wisdom down on paper and had stashed them in my pocket:

"There are 2 rules in life...                                        #1 Don't sweat the small stuff.   
                              #2 Everything is a small thing”

No comments :

Post a Comment