Saturday, June 1, 2013

Inevitable Process


Packed green minivan and an empty brick house with a green door. Empty. Aside from teddy bear picnics and flower fairies which occupy rooms. Rooms filled with playtime and timeout memories alike. Heartbreaking farewells. “Hug me tight Muv, I don’t know when I’ll get to see you again. I don’t know about this California and I’m a little afraid.”
On the road, off to my new home.
Years later, I return to the brick house with the green door. Only this wasn’t the same house. The familiar screeching sound of a play set was gone. Along with the red-fruited plants I recall my mother pruning and sending my sister and me off to pick.


But the most impacting change… The once colorful and detailed friends of my childhood were painted over. White. Blank. My sister’s fairies left as well. I suppose they got lonely and decided to go find a new child to care for. I miss them. But I know now that it would’ve been impossible for me to stay with them forever. My inevitable departure merely sped up the process. The process of their loneliness and my growing up.

No comments :

Post a Comment